Susie Bright has me working on some back catalog stuff for electronic dispersal, these comps here for starters on a collection of essays, some of which Susie wrote in response to Andrew Dworkin’s more controversial ideas about gender politics and sex. They didn’t necessarily see eye to eye and since the perspective of Dworkin here wasn’t per se Dworkin’s perspective of herself, or necessarily a hard-core feminist representation. So I dug out my old 60s and 70s porn mags and started going through the back page ads for material I used on a couple of ideas here that didn’t quite work. The cover image on the right was supplied by Susie, and I mocked it up for her but we both agreed it came off a bit too sensitive and academic for a figure as polarizing as Dworkin.


Timber Press a new client out of Portland I’m doing a gardening guide for, primarily interior design and typesetting, though later in the project they’ve asked me to do the cover as well. I’ve already done a round of comps, most of which I’m not including here, but instead lumping in the best from a second round of designs with some earlier stuff. There’s a final cover selected but the type isn’t ready for public exposure.


Patty Dann first published Mermaids back in 1986, and several years later in 1990 had her book turned into movie with those mentioned on the cover design above. Referred to me by Susie Bright, Patty wanted something more contemporary for the electronic version of her book she was due to publish, as more authors are inclined to be moving their catalogs to electronic editions. I’m not always convinced just because story is set in a certain era (1963 in this case), that representative elements have to reflect it much at all. My only concession here is the flowers on the swim cap. I have this thing for centered illustration I suppose. It’s not the first time I’ve used this structure: large central image for prominent character, smaller elements for key ingredients.


Patty Dann first published Mermaids back in 1986, and several
years later in 1990 had her book turned into movie with those
mentioned on the cover design above. Referred to me by Susie
Bright, Patty wanted something more contemporary for the
electronic version of her book she was due to publish, as more
authors are inclined to be moving their catalogs to electronic
editions. I’m not always convinced just because story is set in
a certain era (1963 in this case), that representative elements
have to reflect it much at all. My only concession here is the
flowers on the swim cap. I have this thing for centered illustration
I suppose. It’s not the first time I’ve used this structure: large
central image for prominent character, smaller elements for
key ingredients.



Cover comps for a new client/author Max Hallford, a short story about a dog that may or may not have sinister intentions.


Recent poster work for ReAct Theater in Seattle. Normally I showcase the poster work I do through a different entity on another website, but lately I’ve decided that since it’s all one and the same for me it just makes sense to lump it all over on this blog as well.

Recent poster work for ReAct Theater in Seattle. Normally
I showcase the poster work I do through a different entity
on another website, but lately I’ve decided that since it’s
all one and the same for me it just makes sense to lump
it all over on this blog as well.


Comps for Being Ester (the final is in there as well) for Milkweed Editions. A book about a woman at the end of her life, reflecting on over eight decades of existence and trying to sort out what part of it really mattered as she slowly fades away, as we all eventually do.


A novel about about the clash of Western ideals with Islam, whichends climatically in the Sahara Desert. It’s a composite of two images, desaturated, then colored added back in for a hand-tinted effect.

A novel about about the clash of Western ideals with Islam, which
ends climatically in the Sahara Desert. It’s a composite of two images,
desaturated, then colored added back in for a hand-tinted effect.


Couple of recent comps. 


Aiming for a branded theme with this series of comps for a recent trilogy project.


This was the final poster, green logically won out over orange.

This was the final poster, green logically won out over orange.


Recent cover for Ruth Harris. A new direction for her books.

Recent cover for Ruth Harris. A new direction for her books.


Was recently interviewed along with a few other designers by an author/client of mine.

Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors. Maybe that’s what I should call my new basement screenprinting studio with its plastic-lined walls and basement shower for easy clean up, I spilled some emulsion on the floor last week and it looks like I’ve been chopping up bodies down there. Still can’t decided on a name for this thing.


A couple of preliminary comps for this project. Still working on alternative cover with the client.



Powered by Tumblr.